Thursday, January 7, 2010

It’s my birthday, I can eat cupcakes all day if I want to


Bella Cupcake CoutureTulips are my favorites

Yesterday was a special day for me:  I celebrated turning 21 and sweet 16!  (Or rather, “plus” sweet 16.  Whatever.)  I got to enjoy a delicious cupcake adorned in her Bella Cupcake Couture finest, I have a mass of gorgeous tulips sitting on my table, a tall decaf soy Cinnamon Dolce Latte in my hand, and I’m looking forward to the “Season of Musicals” at the 5th Avenue Theater.  And throughout the day, I was overwhelmed with Facebook, email, and texted birthday greetings (I love social networking – it makes me feel like I actually talk to adults every once in awhile, rather than just a 5-month old who smiles and giggles but has no idea what I’m saying and a 2-year old who won’t let me get a word in edgewise).  I felt like I was sitting in homeroom on Valentine’s Day and, much to my surprise, received a huge pile of candy grams (because if you knew me in high school, it would be much to everyone’s surprise if I got a huge pile of Valentine candy grams).  All in all, it was a wonderful day!

In the morning, I took Z and Mei-mei to the Children’s Museum, which allegedly has a whole bunch of great exhibits for kids.  I don’t actually know this for a fact, because all I saw were the trucks and buses and the room with all of the balls (Cog City).  Z spent a good 30 minutes driving and riding the city bus and fire engine, and then spent the rest of the morning pushing buttons and collecting ping pong balls in Cog City.  We never made it to the other side of the museum, so we’re going to have to go back in order to check out the rest of the exhibits.  In fact, I’m considering giving up our Zoo membership in favor of a Children’s Museum membership, because so far Z hasn’t been very interested in the Zoo and he couldn’t stop talking about how “very fun” the “mu-zeen” was.

We went for a walk in the afternoon (one of my birthday presents was a break in the rainy weather, so you’re welcome, Seattle) and then headed out to meet some friends for dinner and drinks at the Alibi Room and Zig Zag Cafe.  (Incidentally, whenever I go to the Alibi Room, I have flashbacks to my days as an architect and I feel this overwhelming urge to dress all in black and discuss Derrida’s theories of deconstructivism.)  I had a really good time and enjoyed spending the evening with friends!

Fire chief ZRiding in the fire engine
Going for a walkCrossing guardEnjoying a Mighty O mini donut
Dinner at the Alibi RoomSpanish coffees at Zig Zag Cafe

2 comments:

Deborah said...

We have a membership at the "Zee-um" (as Benjamin calls it), and we love it. Its definetly a plus to have an indoor destination in the Seattle winter. The grocery store and the Sesame street exhibit have been a big hit with Benjamin, as has the water table, but only when we are able to drag him away from driving the bus.

wenmei said...

I heard about this grocery store thing! We never made it over there. There were buses to be driven. I think we will get a membership though -- it's like a giant indoor playground, which is incredibly useful during the 8-10 months of rainy weather.

 
/** GOOGLE ANALYTICS */