Thursday, November 12, 2009

2 year check-up

Today was Z's 2-year check-up with the Dude, and it was pretty uneventful. Now that he's such a big boy he gets to weigh-in by standing on the scale, and his height is measured by standing against the wall. Granted, both methods are a bit less accurate due to the inherent wiggly nature of a 2-year old, but he weighed in at 28 lbs (75th percentile) and measured 34" tall (90th percentile). He doesn't get his head circumference measured anymore; it's just considered "huge".

The Dude gave him the once-over and pronounced him perfect, which was no surprise to me, of course. He's very healthy, he's gaining weight well, he's got the normal bumps and bruises expected on the shins and knees of a toddler, and his language development is great. He was very well-behaved during his exam, sitting quietly on my lap while the Dude listened to his heart and lungs, shined a light into his eyes, and checked his mouth and ears. And he very sweetly said, "Bye-bye Dudah" when the Dude left the room.

Even more impressive was Z's behavior during the next part of the exam: his seasonal flu shot. He didn't even make a peep when the nurse poked his thigh. He just requested to listen to "Jee ho" on my cell phone.

The best part of the check-up was the fact that it was timed very well, and we were able to slip under the radar and get a much-coveted H1N1 vaccine for the boy! The clinic had just received a handful of doses of the spray vaccine that day, and they were only giving them to children between the ages of 2 and 4. Since we were already there for our regular appointment, the Dude sent us to get the vaccine -- free of charge, no line at all. After reading about how parents have been standing in lines for 4+ hours around here (and sometimes still not getting the vaccine), I feel very lucky that we were able to get Z's first dose. We'll have to go back to get him a second dose in a month, but hopefully by then there will be plenty of vaccine and it won't be such a struggle to find.

Now I just have to find a way to get the vaccine myself -- I fall into the high risk category too, since I am the primary caretaker of a child under the age of 6 months. At least the prospect of standing in a long line by myself isn't as daunting as the idea of standing in a long line with a very cranky 2-year old.

I'll end with a moment of extreme cuteness. Today was a sunny day, so I took both children for a walk. I was wearing Mei-mei in the Baby K'tan and I pushed the Phil and Teds while Z walked next to me.  Z stopped walking and just stood in the middle of the sidewalk watching me.
Mama:  Do you want to ride now?
Z:  No.
Mama:  Do you want to keep walking, then?
Z:  No.
Mama:  Well, what would you like to do?
Z (rocking side-to-side):  Dance!
Oh how I love that boy.

No comments:

 
/** GOOGLE ANALYTICS */