Monday, November 30, 2009

SAR


Growing up, we had "SSR" (Sustained Silent Reading) as part of our elementary school curriculum. Being an avid reader, I loved it. I actually got to read whatever I wanted? In school? Without having to hide my book inside of a textbook? Wow.

Well, Z is starting to do his own version of SSR. But since nothing about this child is "silent", his is called SAR: Sustained Audible Reading.

I hope that my children grow up to love reading as much as I do, so I enjoy listening to Z "reading" his books out loud to himself. He can name almost every picture in his word book, and he picks up several new words every day. He likes to help me read his books to him, and I hear him reading them to his stuffed animals (Blue and Mau-mau) as well.

Watching a child learn to speak, especially with the help of a plethora of books, is truly amazing.

No comments:

 
/** GOOGLE ANALYTICS */