Monday, November 30, 2009

Mei-mei: 4 month check-up

The little Miss had her 4-month check-up today!  Everything looks great with her and she's growing right on track.  She's 12 lbs (10-25%), 24.5" long (50-75%), and her head is 41.25cm in circumference (50-75%).  She's almost the exact same size as Z was at 4 months (she's 3.5oz heavier and her head is 1/4cm bigger), but she falls in the higher end of the growth charts than he did because she's a girl.
Mei-mei had to get her next round of vaccines as well, and she was very brave about it.  She screamed when she felt the first poke, then cried angrily at me (she has this very effective "yell-cry") for about 45 seconds before she calmed down.  She fell asleep within minutes of being strapped into her car seat and seemed pretty comfortable for most of the day.

Then came the evening.  Chris was playing basketball so I was on my own to put both kids to bed (normally, I feed Z dinner while Chris gives Mei-mei a bath, and then I nurse Mei-mei and put her to bed while Chris gives Z a bath).  I had everything lined up so that I could get Z started on his dinner, quickly give Mei-mei her bath before Z finished eating, then let him play in his playroom while I nursed Mei-mei and put her to bed.

Of course, Mei-mei was having none of that.  She started whimpering while I was getting Z's dinner ready, and escalated to a full-on scream in less than five minutes.  When I picked her up, she felt warm, so I took her temperature to find that she had a low-grade fever.  When I took off her outfit to get her ready for her bath, I saw that her entire leg was red and inflamed from the shots.  She was screaming in pain, so I gave up on the bath, gave her some infant Tylenol to help with the pain, nursed her, and put her to bed at 5:30 PM (an hour earlier than her usual bedtime).

The entire time I was doing this, Z sat in his high chair (he'd already finished his dinner) and watched.  He waited patiently until I came back downstairs from putting her to bed, and said, "Awww, Mei-mei cry.  Mei-mei boo boo cry."  Then he told me that his toe hurt and he wanted a Band-Aid too (he'd seen the Band-Aid that Mei-mei had on her thigh from the shots).  What a sweet boy.

So we made it through one more round of shots!  Her next round will be at 6 months, and the Dude suggested that we get her the H1N1 vaccine at that point as well.  Otherwise, she looks just great and is a sweet and healthy girl.

No comments:

 
/** GOOGLE ANALYTICS */